Chancellor’s Scholars Selection Process
For decades, the Chancellor’s Scholarship has rewarded the most accomplished prospective Horned Frogs for their remarkable achievements prior to enrolling at Texas Christian University. The selection process aims to bring the best and brightest students to campus to engage in an interview process, during which the student can learn more about TCU, and vice versa. The process of being recognized as a Chancellor’s Scholar is very competitive. Each year, there are a select few that emerge as the most qualified.
Applicants distinguish themselves by:
- Undertaking the most rigorous academic curriculum and excelling in that coursework,
- Exhibiting extraordinary qualities of leadership in an array of extracurricular activities,
- Significantly contributing to communities through service, and
- Demonstrating superb writing skills through a personal essay.
Highlights from the 2020-2021 Admission Cycle:
- More than 1,000 applicants met the established academic criteria to be identified as Semi-Finalists for the Chancellor’s Scholarship.
- After meeting the established quantitative criteria, Semi-Finalists underwent a rigorous qualitative review and committee evaluation. At this point, 145 candidates were identified as Finalists and invited to advance to the interview stage.
- In February 2021, 115 finalists participated in a virtual Chancellor’s Scholars Weekend that culminated with an interview day. Approximately 200 TCU volunteers (students, faculty, staff, and current parents) came together to help make the weekend a success.
- In June 2021, Transfer Chancellor’s Scholars were selected after a parallel Semi-Finalist review and Finalist interview process.
- 53 first-year Chancellor’s Scholars and five Transfer Chancellor’s Scholars were welcomed to campus as the fall 2021 cohort.
These 58 new Scholars joined a community of returning Chancellor’s Scholars who have already set high standards for academic success, community development, and campus leadership. While all TCU students arrive on campus with past accomplishments, the ambitious nature of Chancellor’s Scholars helps set them apart from the outset. The program endeavors to provide students with the resources they need to build on past successes and achieve their loftiest goals.